|Nov. 2nd, 2009 07:17 pm A Potential Unplaned Change|
Since my unplanned, internal, job change 11 months ago, I've been what I've often termed a "misplaced resource," in that my strengths and interests lie with writing and debugging software, but my teams job (as I found out after agreeing that it sounded like the right place for me, mistakenly) is primarily performing builds. After a few months of struggling and hampering operations because I could not engage with the build in any way to be efficient or proficient at it, I was moved off to doing tools work within the team.2 comments - Leave a comment
However, that work has been of limited scope, and is pretty much winding down. So, once I hit the one-year mark from my start date, I started looking internally for other opportunities.
Out of my internal applications, I keep talking to people in one group. I had a very positive conversation with someone who is looking for a tools person and was very impressed (but also has at least one other person he was seriously considering also). One concern both of him and me is that the majority of the team is based in the Santa Clara office.
I'm pretty sure that I'd be able to stay in San Diego, where there is a contingent, but most of the other people I'd be working with would be at the other end -- well two-thirds of the way to the other end -- of the State. As long as I could do most of my meetings remotely, this shouldn't be a problem. Flying from San Diego to Santa Clara once or twice a month wouldn't be too bad as long as I wasn't doing too many overnights either.
But there is a small chance that they would prefer that I relocate to near Santa Clara if I accept the job.
At least if this were to happen, we don't have a house to sell.
And I also know at least a couple of people more or less in the area (alas given the size of the Bay Area metros, I suspect that it is more "less" than "more").
On the other hand, I've heard that he cost of housing is still more there than here (even if my look a few weeks back didn't quite look that way) and I might not be getting a raise to go with my new locale.
For right now, I think this is mostly a wait and see.