February 14th, 2010

Sepia, RB Office

Ending My Involvement With DucKon

Following up on my thoughts expressed on Thursday - and now unlocked for general consumption - and several days of soul searching, I have come to the conclusion that I will have to cut my involvement with DucKon now, rather than waiting until the close of DucKon 19 in June.

I have reached this decision for several reasons, including the difficulty of performing my job from across the country, my increased involvement in fannish activities in the San Diego area as well as the Chicago in 2012 bid and my health. But another reason is that I've lost faith with the leadership of DucKon and the direction that the convention seems to be heading. When I realized that I was starting to look for excuses to NOT attend DucKon this coming year - especially after we had reached the equally hard decision not to go to Australia this summer - and the thoughts that so many of my closest famish friends, who are the ones I look forward to spending time with when I visit the Chicago, area probably wont be there, I concluded that subconsciously I'd already decided that DucKon was moving away from the kind of event I want to attend or be associated with.

I still have a few loose ends to tie up, and I hope to maintain friendships with the friends who are still on the DucKon committee. But, I have sent a letter of resignation to the chair of the convention and the president of the board of directors and so consider my significant involvement with DucKon ended at least for the time being.

I will remain a member and active participant in the Chicago in 2012 bid, and will try to make it to at least one of the Chicago conventions in the next year or two (i.e. something before the extremely likely Chicago Worldcon).

I am also doing multiple jobs for both ConDor the end of this month (helping with registration and serving in an ops-ish category) and ConJecture in October (Webmaster and Registration), as well as planning on running programming operations for the 2011 World Fantasy convention, so I will be involved in fandom, but not with the convention I've been associated with for most of my fannish career.

  • Current Mood
    depressed depressed
Sepia, RB Office

Health Update (et. al.)

A week ago, I fully expected to be recovering from radiation therapy today. But there has been a setback that has delayed my treatment.

On Tuesday, I got a call from the primary doctor involved in this treatment informing me that the second blood test I'd taken the previous Friday showed a lower TSH level -- which implies more thyroid hormone in my system. At that point we were left with two possible reasons for this: either I have more remaining thyroid tissue, or I the lab messed up the results. On Tuesday, I had a third blood test done at a different lab (part of a national chain that neither robot_grrl nor her mother consider all that reliable) to see if it was a lab mistake.

On Friday, I talked to the medical assistant at the doctor's office. While I didn't get (nor press for) the actual results, she said that they are trying to schedule me for further imaging. On Tuesday when I was talking to the doctor, he mentioned that if the new blood test didn't show a higher TSH level, he'd recommend both a thyroid scan using a different isotope of radioactive iodine (they use I131 for the treatment, I'm not sure what they use for the scans) and an MRI of my neck region.

The fear is that the additional tissue instead of being a small part of the thyroid left in place to avoid damaging the parathyroid glands - glands that when damage can prevent the absorption of calcium possibly requiring weekly injection which can be painful - the tissue is actually metastatic cancer elsewhere in the neck (papillary carcinoma is slow spreading and given the size is unlikely to have spread far -- Tara thinks it is unlikely to have spread at all).

But I think that the doctors also need to know how much tissue is there to adjust the dosage of the I131 for the treatment.

On the other hand, not being radioactive let me accompany Tara to Yuma and back - and actually do a lot of the driving. We did get a bit of an earlier start so we got to Yuma about an hour earlier, and were able to get back to San Diego with enough time to stop by Mysterious Galaxy on the way home (OK, its not quite on the way home, but Claremont Mesa Blvd is close enough to CA-52 to not really be a detour). Also, today Tara and I are going to do our first bit of house hunting. (I joked that I'm really being romantic for Valentines day by taking my wife out shopping for the most expensive thing I can buy her)