?

Log in

No account? Create an account
   Journal    Friends    Archive    Profile    Memories
 

Waiting, and other updates - RonO's Ramblings

Jun. 10th, 2008 09:17 pm Waiting, and other updates

In preparation for DucKon, and to use up vacation (decided on the assumption at the beginning of the year that I would be staying put, even though that quickly changed) I've been off this week. However, I haven't been able to enjoy it like I'd like to. Instead, I've spent most of yesterday and today waiting to hear when Microsoft would schedule my interview.

Finally, I got the call from the scheduler, who wanted me to give her 5 days at least 5 days from now -- even though the recruiter has known since last week that I have a pending offer, and has asked them to expedite the process. I confirmed that I had an offer pending, and gave her Thursday, next Monday and then Friday as my only available days. The scheduler read my reply at 5:41 this afternoon (according to the read receipt I asked for in my e-mail). I waited longer, until 8:00 our time (6:00 in Seattle), and still haven't gotten any response. Now, I've got to wait some more tomorrow since I doubt that there will be any action until they get into the office at 8 or 9 their time.

At this point I not sure if this is a sign that they aren't as interested as the recruiter made me think that they were, a sign that I should take or wont' get this job, or just a test of my patience.

In other, related, news: I had a talk this morning with a manager in another team at Mot that would be interested in having me join them. It would be a mostly development role which is what I'm looking for, and would preserve my seniority and keep me available to help my current group (both teams are part of the same division). Part of it is appealing, but it doesn't address my concerns about whether Motorola will survive or not; and won't address any of my problems with the company Motorola has become -- not that Microsoft or Qualcomm won't also be companies with problems.

2 comments - Leave a commentPrevious Entry Share Next Entry

Comments:

From:lonotter
Date:June 11th, 2008 01:05 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I think you're living dangerously in regard to the Qualcomm offer. Even though they *say* they will keep it open for X days, the more time that goes by the greater the chance that they find someone that they like just as well as you, and who can start right quick. I worry that sitting on the offer for this long isn't doing their feelings about you much good. A couple-few days, OK, but you've had it for almost two weeks now. I also don't think that MS has any incentive to hurry their process - either you'll take the Q-comm offer and MS won't be interviewing you again at all, or you decline the offer, and MS can interview you at their convenience. AFAIK the job market is still in the employer's favor.

I get the impression you're ambivalent about the Q-comm offer, which I can understand. Is waiting possibly a subconscious way to not have to decide on it? Anyway, I think it's getting to be time to make up your mind and quit worrying about what MS might or might not do.

Easy for me to say, of course, still working for employer #1, but dracos has run through a number of jobs at the same time, and we do that disgusting hive mind thing. :)
From:lonotter
Date:June 12th, 2008 11:15 am (UTC)
(Link)
Pass the salt & pepper, looks like | have some words to eat . . . nom nom nom
:)