We are exceedingly reluctant to put him into the Oceanside public schools for many reasons. I've heard that the instructional style at a lot of the California public schools would be exactly what we don't need -- an emphasis on having parent's teach the kids basic skills while we teach them values. Further, he would probably be going into middle school, which would be a big issue for him in any rate.
We have identified a school that we think could do very well for him, The Winston School. However, they are a private school and their tuition is a bit more than 3 times what we are paying for the church school. While we technically could afford that, we're not sure we have the means to do so without making serious sacrifices, such as completely cutting out travel and probably several other expenses.
We might be able to get some assistance from the state, if they made a formal placement with the school. However, that could require a year or more from what I was told when I called the school a week or so ago. I was unable to even start to talk to the school district at that time because they did not have any contact information I could find on their website.
It has a couple of times occurred to me that the difference between what we pay now and what we would need to pay could be covered by me quitting tithing to the church -- but I don't think that that is a proper solution.
So both robot_grrl and I are at a bit of a loss as to do. We need to make a decision pretty soon, at least if we want to do much other than throw him to the Oceanside public schools for a year or two and hope that he is still salvageable.