?

Log in

No account? Create an account
   Journal    Friends    Archive    Profile    Memories
 

Chemistry Question: - RonO's Ramblings — LiveJournal

Mar. 9th, 2009 08:21 pm Chemistry Question:10 comments - Leave a commentPrevious Entry Share Next Entry

Comments:

From:daddy_guido
Date:March 11th, 2009 04:56 am (UTC)
(Link)
Heat, my boy.

When I used to make rock candy, I would boil me some water, and stir in sugar while it boiled, till it wouldn't take no more. Quickly pour boiling solution into jar, place lid with string hanging down into jar - DO NOT TIGHTEN LID.

Let cool - when room temp is reached you may already see crystals forming on string. you can then screw on the lid and let nature take it's course.

Why the hell are they having kids use Acetone when both salt and sugar are dissolvable in water? The vinegar i can understand but acetone is an extremely dangerous solvent.
From:robot_grrl
Date:March 11th, 2009 05:10 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Actually, the experiment was to see if by using a solvent with a higher evaporation point you could grow larger crystals. The problem being that salt and sugar do not dissolve well in acetone. So these solutions were affected by the saturation levels, not just solvent evaporation rates. There are salt crystals formed on the string above the vinegar level though.
From:daddy_guido
Date:March 11th, 2009 07:28 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I guess my point was - they could have done the evaporation test using something safer, like methyl alcohol.
From:robot_grrl
Date:March 13th, 2009 12:18 am (UTC)
(Link)
Ahhh, but it was I who decided to use acetone - not the school - it was cheap and it was there. And, I'm sure kiddo would have wrinkled his nose just as hard at the smell of methanol and he did with the acetone.